When it comes to purchasing a boat, there are many additional costs that will need to be considered. This includes maintenance, insurance, and boat storage. So, finding the least expensive way to combat these costs will save you a lot of money.
The cheapest way to store your boat is in a garage, driveway, or in a vinyl shed on your property. If your wife won’t let you do that, consider paying for outdoor storage. This usually costs $4-$10 per foot per month, which is about half the price of indoor storage.
If you do store your boat in a garage or driveway, make sure you protect it by getting a trailer lock (such as this one on Amazon) and consider purchasing comprehensive insurance from somewhere like Boat US or Progressive. Most outdoor storage facilities have high fences and 24/7 security cameras to help keep your boat safe from thieves.
DIY Storage Options
If you don’t want to store your boat in your driveway or at a storage facility, there are a few options you can choose instead. These include:
- Purchasing an outdoor storage tent. This one on Amazon should work great for small boats.
- Performing your own shrinkwrapping. Many outdoor storage facilities will have the option to shrinkwrap your boat, this usually costs around $300. However, this can be done yourself with the right products and knowledge. Check out this Youtube video to learn how to do it yourself.
- Purchasing a tarp and some strings and getting creative. If you don’t have a boat cover, or want to cover your boat to make it easier to work on, consider getting a big tarp such as this one.
Outdoor Boat Storage Options: Pros and Cons
Outdoor storage can be done for very little or even free if you store your boat in the driveway, but this comes with its disadvantages. Here is a list of all the pros and cons of storing your boat outside:
How much does it cost to store a boat?
According to another article I wrote called How Much Does Boat Storage Cost? (15 Examples), here are the results:
It costs around $8-$18 per foot of your boat per month to store your boat in an indoor garage, and $4-$10 per foot per month for outdoor storage. Some marinas may also let you store your boat in the water all season (known as wet storage) for about $6-$12 per foot per month.
I also listed the costs in many different cities, so I recommend you give it a read to learn more.
- What Is The Cheapest Way To Store A Boat? - February 28, 2023
- Do Boats Need Bottom Paint? (Uncovering the Truth) - February 2, 2023
- How Much Is Bass Boat Insurance? (Real Quotes) - January 18, 2023